Monday, June 8, 2009

Usually not at a loss for words...


Sometimes people wish I was at a loss for words, but that is never good on a blog! There were so many things going on this morning that I can't come up with just one theme, so I have settled on "Olympic spirit." My inspiration for this theme was a quick conversation on deck by BB and SB who were harkening back to the 80s Olympics, where there was drama, competition, boycotting (remember?) and peaceful protests. It was definitely crowded today, with seven of us, two who were visiting. The drama started before practice when E found Mr. T's dead pet bird and had to bury it. The competition was in the form of the order of the lane, which was eventually established. The boycotting was SB leaving to go "run." And the peaceful protests were in the form of peace signs on E's earrings and BB's new suit. First, here is the workout:

2 times thru:
100 drill/stroke by 50
100 drill/swim by 50
100 swim
Main:
400 pull on 6:40
400 swim on 6:30
400 fast on 6:20
300 pull on 5:00
300 swim on 4:50
300 fast on 4:40
200 pull on 3:40
200 swim on 3:30
200 fast on 3:20

Admittedly, it was a little chaotic today. Bill even scolded the lane for some transgressions, but truth be told I thought we all swam well and today made me realize how much I like the people I swim with. We have mojo. But it did remind me of a few more "lane etiquette" tips that come up occassionally, so here are two more:

1. If you are new, observe before inserting yourself. Some lanes are made up of people who swim together all the time – if you are there for the first time, take a chill pill and go to the back. If you can confidently move up, politely ask to do so.

2. Keep your sense of humor while keeping the intensity up. This is often tough, but keeping a friendly demeanor while kicking serious butt during practice is important.

3. Practice Good Lane Karma. Karma is one of those things that you either have or you don’t.You know when the lane is working well, and you know when it’s not. That is lane karma. Try not to bring bad karma, and realize it when you do and self-correct.

4. Thank the coach. Sometimes coaching is a thankless job, full of complaints and problems. Don’t forget to thank your coach. Even when he scolds you.

5. Have fun. I know I have said it before, but it is true. We are so lucky to have great coaches and a beautiful pool to swim in, so make the most of it.

1 comment:

  1. I PROMISE to try not and DRIFT over to the center. Eeeeks! I don't know when or why I developed that bad bad habit.

    ReplyDelete