Monday, December 21, 2009

Wetsuits recommended


The good news today was that our pool is open again and it's 50 meters! The bad news is that amongst all of the signs on the locker room doors warning us of the flu, thiefs, schedule changes, and overnight locks, one was conspicuously missing. This was the sign that says "Dear patrons: the pool is really, really clean now, but because we drained it and put fresh water in, it's a bit cold too, so you may want to wear a wetsuit." That is an understatement! Now I admit I am usually the first to claim something is cold, but today was ridiculous. After 1500 yards I was still freezing. E turned blue. Nearly everyone screamed after diving in. Steve even threatened to wear a swim cap on Wednesday. That is not how I want to start my morning. So here is the plan: everyone please bring a cup of boiling water on Wednesday. If all seven of us dump it in the pool, it will warm up. Right? I wasn't very good at science in middle school, but it makes sense to me.

Oh, and apparently there is no masters this week. But 15 people showed up anyway. Here is what our lane did:

300-500 swim as fast as you can so you don't get hypothermia
5 x 200 going:
200 swim
200 drill/swim
200 IM
200 pull
200 swim
then three times thru:
4 x 50 sprint on 1:15
300 pull/swim on :20
100 easy

BB looked at me after the first 300 and said "this takes some getting used to." Of course I thought he was talking about the cold, but he was talking about the long course. Funny how you don't notice it when you can't feel your hands. A bunch of us will swim on Wednesday. I am not kidding about the wetsuit though.

2 comments: