Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Pet Peeves


We all have little pet peeves, like people who chew with their mouth open or emails with no subject line. One of my pet peeves presented itself to me on my drive in to swimming today. I saw a guy who looked like a banker-type heading downtown in a late model Camry with the words NH or BUST 09' written in huge yellow paint on his back window. You might wonder just what part of this scenario is annoying to me? Well, all of it is a bit strange, but the part that bugs me is the inappropriate use of the apostrophe. I see this all the time. It is supposed to mark an ommision (in this case, it should be '09 replacing the "20") or mark possessives of nouns. It's like people know there is supposed to be an apostrophe somewhere there so they just put one in without thinking. I can't tell you why it bugs me, but it does. It's kind of like when someone leaves the apostrophe out of my name and spells it Odair. Upon further reflection maybe I have had issues with this my whole life and it came to bear this morning on Storrow Drive. I feel better already, just sharing it.

The water was still warm and it made Ian a little "peeved" at the workout today!

12 x 50 going swim, drill, stroke, choice
4 x 75 kick
4 x 600 all on 1:15 rest
600 pull
600 broken at each 200 for :15
600 swim (we broke at 300 and negative split)
600 broken at each 100 for :10
4 x 50 kick

Even though the water was warm, we kept a good pace on all and made it through. I never thought I would ever complain about anything being too warm but even I thought we could lose a few degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment