Friday, September 25, 2009

Doing the right thing


There's doing the right thing in the ethical sense, like letting the cashier know you got too much change back, or finding something cool that doesn't belong to you and returning it to its rightful owner. And there is doing the right thing in the legal sense, like stopping at a red light or not parking in a loading zone. Then there is doing the right thing in the workout sense, like reading the paper, listening to the coach, and doing what he says. I'd like to think of myself as someone who tries to do the right thing; yet after today's workout I realized that NOT doing the right thing has consequences. Let me give you the workout first:

250 kick or swim, masters option
6 x 50 count strokes/stroke on :60
4 x 25 fly
10 x 100 on 2:00 FAST
6 x 150 on 2:25
2 x 50 free

Our focus was on the 100s. I somehow missed Bill's explanation of the workout, which was this: Do it in pairs, holding a consistent pace for each pair, but DESCEND each pair also. I missed the descend each pair part so started out my first pair on 1:13. When I got to the wall I got an earful from everyone that now I had to descend from that when I thought I just had to hold it within each pair. This did not make me happy. At all. But I did my best, holding pairs of 1:13, 1:12, 1:11, 1:10 but not breaking 1:10. Everyone else "did the right thing" and succeeded. Well done!

There are always questions to ask yourself when faced with doing the right thing. How will I feel about myself later if I do it? Will it hurt anyone, including me? What does the little voice inside my head think about this? What will the people I respect think about it? No doubt about it, I will do the right thing next time, as I don't like the answers to these questions!!!

Have a great weekend!

tip of the day: if you find a wallet, return it with everything in it. Not only is it the right thing to do, but Dateline may be filming you.

No comments:

Post a Comment