Friday, February 17, 2012

Ten cents a yard

KBB is our guest blogger - we have wondered where he has been, and this post makes it clear - far from MIT!!

It's early morning and dark and cold outside my hotel in a suburb North of Salt Lake City. Not able to bear the though of another slog on the hotel treadmill, I pull up Google maps on my laptop to plot a course for an outdoor run. (Did I mention it was cold and dark?) Suddenly my eye is drawn to a marker on the map labeled Layton City Surf and Swim!!! A quick web search and phone confirmation reveals that it is open for lap swimming and the fee is $3!!! I rush out the door with a bit of dread, because all of the pictures showed the pool outside. I was quite relieved to see an enormous bubble over the pool when I arrived (ala old school Hanscom). So in I went for 10 cents a yard. Sorry, no workout details are provided. The pool is at elevation, and it was YMCA temp water. But it was a workout that was not expected, and those are often the best ones.

KBB

No comments:

Post a Comment