Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Thrill of the Chase?

There is nothing quite like going for something and achieving it - be it in a race, finding a new job, or reaching an important milestone in life. As is often said, much of the excitement is in the journey itself, especially if you have momentum and keep building on that momentum. The same cannot always be said if you are the one being chased, although there are times when it's fun to be chased. In general, though, being chased often causes anxiety, worry, heart palpitations, and a flight mentality. Typically on distance day I embrace the former, enjoying the journey, trying to keep strong and finish strong, happy to make it to the end. But when you happen to swim with someone out of your league then you are relegated to the latter, as was the case today. I quickly realized that my whole goal during the workout was not to get caught, and this brought with it a sense of mild panic that I now know I really don't like. To be honest I'm mostly worried that Phil will show up in my nightmares and will not only catch me, but will touch my toes. The horror.

6 x 25 :15r
Underwater swim
Build up the lane (slow to fast)
Build down the lane (fast to slow)
Cruise
Fast free
Fast stroke

5 x 100 :20r
1. 25 fly/75 free
2. 50 fly/50 free
3. 75 fly/25 free
4. 100 all free
5. 100 all fly

6 x 400
1.Long swim on 5:20
2.Negative split on 5:30
3.Make 3rd 100 fast on 5:40
4. Pull: Hypoxic: 5, 7, 5, 3 on 5:50
5. Descend by 100s on 5:20
50 easy on 1:30
6. Fast on 5:00

No comments:

Post a Comment