Thursday, March 21, 2013

Literally ridiculous



Sometimes I am overly attuned to grammar and language usage, so I amusingly roll my eyes when people use terms like irregardless or phrases like somewhat unique. If you are laughing with me, read on, if not, skip directly to the workout. My newest obsession with language is the more frequent inappropriate use of the word “literally”, as in “I literally blew up during that swim workout”. If you actually did blow up that would be bad – you would die, the pool would get closed for weeks, and it would be on the news. Everyone knows what you are talking about because we have all been there (blowing up during a workout, figuratively speaking). But the truth is I have heard this word being used (not at master's of course!) of late as a throwaway exaggerator, as in “my blood was literally boiling when I heard that”. Literally means actually, and I actually do not want to see boiling blood. What’s my point here? I guess it is a suggestion for us to stick with the old tried and true figurative descriptors like “I totally bonked” or “we just swam the English Channel in that workout today”. Unless, of course, you literally did swim the English Channel, in which case you can ignore all of this.

200 warmup
6 x 25 odds free, evens stroke
6 x 50 count strokes free :55
4 x 75 IM order on 1:30
6 x 250 going:
odds: 100 easy, 50 stroke, 100 fast on 3:50
evens 100 on 1;30, 50 stroke on :55, 100 fast on 1:20
6 x 150 going:
1-3 pull on 2:20
4-6 going 50 free on :50, 50 stroke on :60, 50 fast on :40
50 easy
200 free pace on 3:00
200 pull on 3:00
200 IM/choice

No comments:

Post a Comment