Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Importance of Context

I have just returned from a week long vacation in Duck, NC on the lovely Outer Banks. While the water was cold (61F), the sand was warm and I spent lots of leisure time watching all the people who tried to swim and then thought better of it. On one particularly warm day, a man and woman walked by and the man had on a bright red Speedo. As someone who sees small suits like this every day (and believe me, my male teammates can push the limits of fashion), I must say even I was taken aback at the sight of the scantily clad gentleman. Why is this? It's totally a cultural thing, as most American's are predisposed to dislike the Speedo outside of the pool/racing context, which is ridiculous but it is true. I saw people watching him, probably thinking he was European or didn't get the memo that it is board shorts or nothing on a family beach. Yet on a pool deck, we scoff at someone wearing board shorts to work out. And there is a double standard for women, too. If I wear my one-piece swimming suit on the beach I look out of place, but if I wear a bikini at the pool it's a thing. I frankly like the Speedo and wish it were more accepted. Thank goodness we have friends who embrace this look, as evidenced by BB who is in Turkey preparing for a big swim this week. Here he is on the podium (he's #1) showcasing one of his many fashion pieces.

Distance day in a short pool, which seems like an oxymoron but it is sadly true.

300 warmup
Three times thru:
25 drill
25 fast swim
50 count strokes
75 (50 fly/back/breast/25 free)
25 fast
3 x (4x50)
Kick no board on 1:10
count strokes :55
power :50
fast :45
600 swim on 8:00
500 on 7:05
400 on 5:30
300 on 4:00
200 on 2:50
100 on 1:25
12 x 25 going IM order on :30

No comments:

Post a Comment