Saturday, June 22, 2013

Loving the Lake

This morning I went with my friend E2 to the lake. It's not just any lake, it's THE lake, which really represents an experience more than just a swim. The hostess, Pam, is called the CEO, and for good reason. She has been organizing a large group of swimmers at her lake house for years, and they swim April to November, rain or shine, wetsuit or no-wetsuit. Many years ago I was "sponsored" (meaning I came with a regular) and remembered it being fun, but I never went back. On our way over to the lake this morning I was tutored about the basic rules: a) If you use flippers or toys, you must announce this to the group; b) faster swimmers start last and zig-zag so that everyone finishes together, and c) no pookies in the hot tub. Makes sense. What I learned, though, is that the most important rule is not to take yourself too seriously and to give as much as you take. They are - as we say in New England - a wicked fun group. They are also great swimmers, which makes it even more fun. We did about 3500 yards, I am guessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment