Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Proper use of "air quotes"


There is an art to using the air quote. Using air quotes strategically is a skill that, when used properly, can make something funnier, more sarcastic, or place more emphasis on said subject. Yet when they are used incorrectly, they simply make the speaker look ridiculous. Case in point, a conversation I had this morning with someone in reference to loud construction work being done outside. All quotes are actual air quotes in conversation: I can't "believe" that they are doing this right "now". They started this before "dark". I can't wait until it "snows" so they stop making this noise. Not only did I not understand the relevance of how snow would stop construction, the air quotes distracted me. I felt compelled to say have a "good" day!

300 on own
6 x 50 drill
8 x 50 middle of the pool
5 x 100 stroke going free/back combo
5 x 100 stroke going free/breast combo
more swimming, will get from Bill

Not that I am queen of the air quote, but my lanemates would understand perfectly if I said I "swam" masters practice today. Why? Because I got in, did the warmup, and while I technically did swim, I did not do the workout and got out of the pool. I hope to be "back" at it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment