Saturday, June 1, 2013

LOVE that Clean Water!

E2, me, BB, and Dr. Bob
It was a pretty special day today in Boston as a record number of swimmers took part in the 5th Charles River one-mile swim. Thanks to the efforts of Ulla Hester, Frans Lawaetz and their team at the Charles River Swimming Club this has become an annual event that attracts swimmers from all over the region. The water quality was excellent, something that could not be said in the 1940's when the river was last open to the public to swim. We received word today that the Department of Conservation and Recreation has approved a public swim for later this summer! While the Standells "Dirty Water" is still one of my favorite songs, I find myself singing it and then reminding everyone around me that it's meaning is a thing of the past, though the overall sentiment remains as strong as ever: I love Boston.

Great to be with so many of my friends, old and new, in the swimming community today - especially my peeps from MIT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment