Thursday, August 13, 2009

Guest Blogger BB: The word of the day


To improve my vocabulary I subscribe to A.W.A.D. It is an online service that sends a new vocabulary word every day. It provides the pronunciation, the meaning, etymology and usage of the word. I try to use the word in some way shape or form at least once during the day. Fug is a word from Tuesday that seemed particulary apt today especially when one reads the "usage" of the word. Here you go:

MEANING: noun: Stale, humid, and stuffy atmosphere, as in a crowded, poorly ventilated room.
ETYMOLOGY: Of uncertain origin, perhaps from fogo (stench).
USAGE: "[The butterfly stroke] may have a fug of raw, sweating masculinity about it, but it's also the most irritating of all strokes." Barney Ronay; Vladimir Putin's Tough-guy Swimming Technique; The Guardian London, UK); Aug 6, 2009.

I love it--the fug of raw, sweating masculinity from a guy wearing a flowered speedo (me). Here is the workout. Lanemates present today were KT and R2.

No warm up we weren't IBB
2x50 drill/free 60sec
4x25 breast 35sec
2x50 drill/free
4x25 back
2x50 drill/free
4x25 fly -Oh fug!
5x75 fr 60 sec
3x25 ez 35sec
4x75 fr 1:05
2x25 ez
3x75 60 sec
1x25 ez 35sec
2x75 1:05
2x25 ez
4x200 (2:45,2:40,2:35,2:30-oh fug)
6x25 warm down

Fug is also an expression (oh fug) that can be used when one hasn't been
in the pool for 13 days!!! It was good to be back.

PS-If anyone wants to improve their vocab let me know an I can hook you up with A.W.A.D. I get concerned about saying words like paaark, yaaard, wicked good pissah.

No comments:

Post a Comment