Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Guest Blogger Coach Bill: Where there's smoke, there's fire!


Our guest blogger today is our coach, Bill!
This morning was a tough one. I woke up and all I could think of was how dangerous things could have been. Last night, I smelled smoke, and looked out my window, and there was nothing in my housemate's fire pit.. so I guessed that another neighbor must have gotten a new fire pit, and hence the smell of smoke.

After watching TV for about a half hour, and after turning the fan on, I was
starting to get a headache, so I got up to go to bed. Then, all of a sudden
was a pounding on my door. I yelled ok, I am coming, and I heard one of my housemates yell, get out, the porch is on fire! I tossed on some shorts,
and made a run for it. At the second floor landing, I heard voices, and went inside. The fire was on the porch, and the smell of smoke was strong. I filled up a pot from the sink and tossed it on it, but it wasn't enough to get all of it. I ran back upstairs to the roofdeck where I always keep a full bucket of water (used to water the plants or should I say forest). I tossed this on the fire and a neighbor from down the street showed up with his fire extinguisher, and put it out. The fire department showed up and checked things out. We are all still unsure as to how it started although it could have been with a cigarette. (more on this later). Anyway, I hit the sack late, and woke up thinking I need to buy a doorbell that is batter operated because there have been a few times when I have not heard anyone knocking on my door. And I need to buy a fire extinguisher. My apartment is in an old house.... and I am on the top floor.

So, despite all of this, I managed to get myself "Fired up", and I did my best this morning.... distance free set and the last one at 50 meters for awhile.... My task was to light a fire under all of our masters swimmers, and with that in mind we did:

(all on 20 rest)
1 x 100 [50: front quad, 1 arm drill]
1 x 100 [50 fingertip drag dr, 50 choice dr]
1 x 100 [50 choice dr ? 50 count strokes fr]
1 x 100 [50 fly, 50 back]
1 x 100 [50 breast, 50 free]
1 x 100 [build speed... slow to fast]
then 2 x 1000
1000: think of it as 5 x 200's holding steady pace on 2:00 rest
1000: think of it as 5 x 200's with the last 50 going stroke
3 x 50 free (counting strokes) on :60
4 x 50 free :50
3 x 50 choice :60

Then at 7:50 the phone rings: It appeared that Ms. Katie's hair dryer caught fire in the ladies lockeroom. Some folks will do anything to become a dean at MIT! Last thought: Kennedy Compound wanted to send some love to Ms. Katie O and all of the lanethree swimmers with:

Chaka Khan:
Through the fire...

Through the fire
To the limit, to the wall
For a chance to be with you
I'd gladly risk it all
Through the fire
Through whatever, come what may
For a chance at loving you
I'd take it all the way
Right down to the wire
Even through the fire

Safety tip of the day: Get a freaking fire extinguisher!

2 comments:

  1. another extra tip of the day:

    Don't use a hairdryer, if you can't take the heat!

    Where's chaka ?

    Fired up.. where's the funky greendogs ?

    ReplyDelete