Thursday, April 30, 2009

Swimming with Pat...


...is not exactly like "swimming with the fishes" but at one point today I did feel like a 50lb weight was attached to my torso dragging me to the bottom of the pool. Pat is a friend of BB's and was a guest leader in the lane today. He is ridiculously fast and probably should have been in lane 1 but swam with us instead, and we were happy to have him. But strange things happen when you swim with people much faster than you. First, it makes you feel really slow, even though you are holding faster times than normal. Second, it brings out the testosterone in the men in the lane. Case in point, mild mannered BB turned into a maniacal swimming machine following Pat. This is evidenced by a sub 5:00 400 free at the beginning of the workout. The rest of us were just holding on for dear life trying not to get lapped on a 200. So the moral of the story is this: if a guy named Pat shows up in your lane, you are going to work your butt off.

8 x 50 various on :60
8 x 25 fly on :35 because Dr. Bob was late (that's my story and I am sticking to it)
400 free on 6:00
2 x 75 on 1:25
200 IM on 3:15
200 free on 3:15
200 IM on 3:15
2 x 75
300 IM on :30 rest
300 Free on :30
2 x 75
4 x 100 odds IM, evens free on 1:45
2 x 75
6 x 75 free

So this was supposed to be a IM-only set but coach Bill mixed it up for us. Have I mentioned lately how much love and respect we have for Bill? Still, it was hard, and also fun to push it more than we might have without our guest leader there. Thanks Pat! Oh, and if you want to return I have some ankle and hand weights for you to wear to even the playing field, so to speak.

1 comment:

  1. Oh NOOOOOOOO.. This is not good for the psyche and to think after Wednesday's set I was feeling oh so speedy.
    Pat,I hear you are blessing us with your company tomorrow as well. I'm not sure I'm ready to be thrown in the wood chipper on a Friday morning. Can you say "teaching pool-solo swim for TGP?"

    ReplyDelete