Friday, May 22, 2009

A world with no lanes - Walden 2009


Good day! Today was my maiden swim of the year at Walden, and it was everything I hoped it would be: good company, cold water, sunshine, and of course a good workout followed by breakfast at Helen's. Huge crowd today, from MIT we had me, Ali, Rachel, BB, Joe and Jeff (see photo at right minus BB), but there were many others. I swam with BB squared - that is BB and his brother, BB (no kidding). It made me wonder if their parents also have the initials BB - a whole family of BBs. Anyway, the workout is a little harder to capture in open water, but here is what we did:

Ali, Al, and their group started out about 5 minutes ahead, so the BBs and I spent nearly the entire first lap trying to catch up. One thing I noticed about this first group was that there was no "let's stop at the first tree and chat a little." There was no leisurly stopping to smell the roses on this swim! BB1 and I got across the pond, looked at each other and said "no chatting?" Once we figured this out, we set about with BB2 to find the As and did so as we came back to the boathouse. We then swam a second lap with them, and our total swim time was somewhere around 55 minutes. A highlight for me was Joe in his banana yellow speedo, which was more like a European speedo if you know what I mean. I took a photo, but as this is a family-friendly blog I did not want to scare the children (or, frankly, all of our friends.)But I have this feeling that Joe will want to keep himself on my good side for awhile.

Water temp is cold, but nice. No need for a full suit - sleeveless will do and in fact I will just wear sleeveless from now on as the full does not feel great in the shoulder area. I would say the temperature is in the low 60s.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. So that is why the pool was so empty this morning.

    ReplyDelete