Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mashpee Race Report


We finally got a beautiful day! And not soon enough for those of us who swam the Mashpee 3.1 or 1 mile swim today. Representing MIT Masters were Caitlin, Marla, Matt, and me. This is a summary of the swim.

It was about 64 degrees, which was almost balmy. The water was calm. I was amused when the race director went to take the water temp and put the thermometer in about 1 foot of water and said "68 degrees." I am no scientist, but my guess is that the water right near the shore might be a tad bit warmer than the rest of the (very) large and deep pond. But mentally, that helped a lot, just knowing that somewhere in the pond it was 68. We all discussed how this was only 3 degrees colder than our pool! But we quickly realized it was actually 13 degrees colder. Okay, the course was a triangle, and those of us who did 3.1 went 6 times around and the mile swimmers did it twice. The course looked long, and the final times showed that was the case. The field was probably around 100 - a perfect number.

We started on the opposite end of the beach from the milers. It was a deep water start, and the deeper it got, the colder it got. Remember, if you wanted to compete in this race you could not wear a wetsuit. So we are treading water, waiting for the starting gun. And waiting. More waiting. By the time the gun went off I was pretty cold. Bill gave me a strategy, which was to go out fast and try to stay with the fast group as long as possible. I did that, but we met up with the milers and I lost my draft. I ended up finding a group of guys who seemed strong, so I tried to stay with them. I quickly realized that some of them could not sight their way out of a tunnel with a light at the end of it. As they strayed right and left, I went straight, and met up with them at the bouys where I caught a bit of a draft until they strayed again. My thinking was this: I was more bothered by going off course than I was missing the draft, so while I swam my own race they were cruising. Since we all have to end up at the bouys it all equaled out.

Six loops is a LOT. After 3, I was cold and not relieved that I was halfway done. After four loops, I began to feel optimistic. On the last lap, I realized it was almost over. And then it was over. Amen.

So, our own Caitlin was the overall winner at 1:13:21 and she also won the 20-25 age group!!! She beat all the fast guys, and there were a lot of them. I am happy with my swim - third woman overall and 40-44 age group winner at 1:23:32. Marla got third in her age group for the mile, nice job! (I have your medal, Marla.)

Several people came up to me after and asked if I was aware that my lips were bright blue. No surprise. I had the shivers for about 45 minutes after the race, and never really warmed up in the water. But it was a lot of fun seeing old swimming friends and hanging out with my teammates. I am glad it is over - my lanemates know I trained hard for this and am relieved it is over. Now I can go on vacation, which I do tomorrow. Maybe if I am inspired I will post something from the Outer Banks.

Please behave when I am away, Lane 3-ers. I don't want to hear any stories!!! :)

2 comments: