Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Treadmill Stalking

I am not sure I invented the term "treadmill stalking" but it seems to be particularly relevant at MIT, where a large bank of treadmills conveniently overlooks the pool. What does that mean? It means that I am watching you swim. It does not mean that I will hide around the corner and watch you on a treadmill, or put a treadmill in your front lawn and wait until you call the police because I am scaring you. Others do this, too - (Elliptical stalking is also popular) but I tend to take a more active approach to it and send feedback to people on the workout, etc. And Kevin, I disagree with you that you can't get faster watching people swim. I was definitely faster today. :)

Today it looked like hard 100s with some pull. Everyone in Lane 3 ate their Wheaties! Steve and Rachel traded leads on the 100s and Elaine led the pull. Nice work on tough intervals. No real feedback, but I said to E in the locker room watch your left arm, it comes up a bit kind of like Bob's. In lane 4, A has almost no kick and M has a huge power kick, but with a buoy each evens their stroke out smoothly. That means more kick for A and a bit less for M (I know, ironic that I am even commenting on a kick, but I have to call it like I see it!).

The big news is that Rachel is leaving for 12 days to the South Pacific for her long overdue honeymoon. Have a great time, Rachel! We'll wait until you return for the next lane outing.

Lastly, update on Where in the World is Carmen Monks: Carmen was spotted at the noon Masters workout yesterday, and reports are that he did somewhere between "1700 and 1900" yards. We hope to see you soon in the a.m., CM.

No comments:

Post a Comment