Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Law and Consequence

I tend to be a rule-follower by nature. Even in high school, I would not run a stop sign on a dare from my friends, even though we were in a remote location with little chance of being caught. While I understood that it was not likely I would be busted, in my mind I thought through all of the consequences (what if a small child came out of nowhere? What if some other stupid teenager felt like doing the same thing?) and just couldn't do it. Of course, I break the rules all of the time - speeding, swimming during a kick set, etc. But most of the time, thankfully, my rule-breaking does not have consequences. In today's set, rule breaking had consequences. Coach Bill told us to do legal turns on our 400 IM or else we would have to do a 400 free and a 1000 free. Most of us took this seriously, but not Dr. Bob. Dr. Bob didn't even pretend to do legal turns (swimming freestyle into his breastroke turn, for example) so coach had no choice but to penalize all of us. I ask you - what is worse: going 80 on the Pike or forcing your lanemates to swim 1000 hard? We gave Dr. Bob the silent treatment for about a minute, and that was mostly because we were out of breath. For the record, Ian went the extra mile and did double-hand-on-the-wall backstroke to breast turn, which is not necessary but a valiant effort nonetheless.

200 warmup
5 x 100 thinking about each aspect of the stroke :205
4 x 75 kick on :20r
4 x 150 going:
odds on 2:10
evens pull hypoxic on 2:20
400 IM legal turns
400 free descend by 50
1000 swim (punishment)
we did it alternating leads each 250, and the leader had to go hard
4 x 50 free on :50 and :60

No comments:

Post a Comment