Monday, March 9, 2009

Guest Blogger Kim B: The Sounds of Masters

By way of introduction, our guest blogger today is KBB, who in addition to being a renowned researcher in sports technology also dabbles in songwriting in his free time. He also has a daughter named Catie (great name) who is a pretty amazing little swimmer herself. I think this song reflects how we all feel this morning at this early hour.

Sounds Of Masters
By KBB
With due credit to Simon & Garfunkel

Hello darkness, my old friend
I’m biking in the dark again
Daylight savings time is back today
Leaving darkness all along the way
And an extra chill in the cold morning air
Still I’m on my way
To the sounds of masters

Onto the deck I walk alone
Letting out a quiet groan
'Neath the halo of fluorescent lights
I grab a pull-buoy but not a board
When my ears were pierced by the voice of the master’s coach
“Get in the pool”
He spoke the sound of masters

And in the naked light I saw
Thirty people, maybe more
People swimming without speaking
People swimming with rhythmic breathing
People who came in time to swim the warm-up set that day
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of masters

"Fools", said coach, "You do not know
Laziness like a cancer grows
Get in the pool that I might coach you
Turn your arms kick hard too"
And his words became an omen for the day
And were obeyed
In the pool of masters

And the people bowed and caved
Into the coach’s wish they gave
It’s the fourth stoke day of the week
The grumbling in the lane begins to peak
A rebellion in the lane was forming
And the coach said, "The words of the boss are written on the workout sheets
Get in the pool”

And join in the sounds of masters

Copyright 2009 kbb

4 comments:

  1. Nice Job KKB except one thing taunts my brain so I must ask. Why? Why do you swim BEHIND Carmen when on other days you can stick to me like glue. Makes noooooo sense.
    BTW Ms Katie, our main set alone was 3000. Big day.. Big Day at the watering hole. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. TGP - THE BD won't yell at me if I accidentally whack his feet and if I use his official moniker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive. The talent in Lane 3 is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved the song. very inspirational. didn't know the coach is that hard core.

    ReplyDelete