Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Flashback


It was only a matter of time before the ghosts of my swimming past would visit. I was saying to BB after practice that I was not inspired today, but what he didn't know what that I was still processing what had happened during warmup. During the first set I glanced over and underneath the high dive board I saw him - my age group coach, Skip. It wasn't him, of course, but someone who bore a striking resemblance to him. Imagine Mark Spitz, but with a whistle and clipboard, and you get the idea. My heart raced. Was he going to make me kick? Was the stopwatch already on, ready to get my time? Was he going to tell my mom I was socializing on deck earlier? Of course the negativity spiral continued and I remembered the time when the outdoor pool just opened, the water was about 55 degrees, and I could not breathe because of the cold. I recall getting out and sitting on the edge of the pool. Skip said to me "either swim or get out and go home." I'll give you one guess as to what 12-year old Katie did. I think my hair froze on the long walk home. Please tell me I am not the only one with these memories.

But thankfully, the pool was warm today, Bill was on deck sans stopwatch, and K, BB, E, M, and I swam together.

100
4 x 150 alternating free/drill, stroke, free
6 x 200 going:
1-3 on 3:15
4-6 on 3:30 pull
6 x 50 on :50
4 x 50 on :55
5 x 50 on :45
3 x 50 on :60
6 x 100 going:
1-3 descend on 1:50
4-6 descend on 1:50, #6 is faster than #3

This set was fun because it had lots of variety. Don't take the first set of 50s out too hard or the fast ones will be tough. And I loved swimming with all my old peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment